Ireland's Military Story

Category: Heritage Site

  • Recording the Story of the 18pdr with Sgt Robert Delaney

    Recording the Story of the 18pdr with Sgt Robert Delaney

    Recording the Story of the 18pdr with Sgt Robert Delaney

    Photos by John O’Byrne and Michael Coyne

    First published on 26 August, 2022. Updated 1 March 2023.

    Delighted to release our production of: The Four Courts QF 18-pounder ‘9168’ Field Gun – From Restoration to Museum Display. This video was recorded on location last August in the Curragh Military Museum last August with Sgt Robbie Delaney, Irish Defence Forces Ordnance Corps. This video tells the story of the recently restored Ordnance QF 18-pounder Field Gun ‘9168’; one of the very same that fired the opening shots of the Irish Civil War in June 1922. Variants of the Ordnance 18-pdr served throughout the Great War – primarily with the British Artillery Regiments, in the early years of the National Army following the establishment of the Irish Free State, and with the Irish Defence Forces’ Artillery Corps up until the 1960s. This particular gun was sold off in the 1950s and disappeared across the Atlantic. As it turned out it stood guard outside a diner in Virginia, United States until historian Kenneth Smith-Christmas came across it and recognised it as an Irish Army 18-pdr. From there he contacted Lar Joye in the National Museum of Ireland , not long after a team was on its way over to inspect the gun. Brought home to Ireland the ‘Ivy Patch Gun’ as it was known has now been fully restored to as it was in 1922 by the team at the Ordnance Corps in the Curragh Camp. This is the story of The Four Courts QF 18-pounder ‘9168’ Field Gun – from restoration to museum display. In this video Sgt Robbie Delaney takes viewers through the history and service of the gun and the restoration and conservation process. An incredible undertaking and a credit to all the team involved. The restoration and conservation project is complemented by a exhibition in the Curragh Military Museum, depicting the firing on the Four Courts 28-30 June, 1922.

    The 18pdr Field Gun is currently on display in the National Museum of Ireland Collins Barracks, Dublin.

    Thank you to Military Archives, Kenneth Smith-Christmas, and British Pathé. This project was supported by Kildare Decade of Commemorations and The Dept. of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media.

    You can red the full story of the Ivy Patch Gun prior to its restoration and its journey back to Ireland in Kenneth Smith-Christmas article by clicking here.


    Big thank you to Sgt Robert Delaney Ordnance Corps and the team at the Curragh Military Museum.

  • Our First Project – Celbridge’s Military Story

    Our First Project – Celbridge’s Military Story

    Church/Tay Lane Cemetery in Celbridge. A beautifully preserved heritage site with graves spanning several centuries with unique military history.

    Our First Project – Celbridge’s Military Story

    The Irish Military Heritage Foundation CLG has been awarded a grant under the Kildare County Council Heritage Grant Scheme 2019. The grant has been awarded towards the Foundation’s inaugural project – Celbridge’s Military Story. Our aim is to bring to life some of the hidden stories in the Celbridge area. Celbridge is the home of our editor/producer Wesley Bourke, over the last few years the History Squad in the local primary school, Scoil na Mainistreach, have highlighted the lost stories of the Celbridge area; and showed just how quickly history can be forgotten. They inspired us and we decided to find out more. We will be producing this project through film and articles.

    Celbridge’s Victoria Cross – John Augustus Conolly. (Photo graph from the Berkshires Regimental Museum)

    Every community has a hidden voice that opens a window into the past and every community has a unique story; Celbridge, in County Kildare is no different. The area is home to many Óglaigh na hÉireann / Irish Defence Forces serving personnel and veterans; family members of persons who have served in both World Wars; historians with detailed knowledge of stories such as the moving plight of the Belgium refugees who came to Celbridge in 1914, or the events in the local area during the War of Independence and Civil War. Adding to this historiography Celbridge has several landscapes connecting it to its military past such as Castletown House & Parklands whose owner Thomas Conolly in 1865 toured the battlefields of the American Civil War; or Tay/Tea Lane cemetery which after a wonderful restoration has unearthed the stories of Henry Grattan Jr. MP and Gerald Dease

    Over the coming months we will be interviewing local historians, veterans, and members of the community whose relatives have since passed away. This project aims to unearth stories lost to time and preserve Celbridge’s Military Story for future generations.
    We would love to hear your story. If you have a story to tell please get in touch.

    The grave of Sir Colonel Gerald Dease in Church/Tay Lane Cemetery. (Photograph by Wesley Bourke)
    Colourtrend in Celbridge on the site of the former workhouse. During the Great War it was home to Belgium refugees, and in 1922 it became the site of the first barracks for the new army of the Provisional Government of Ireland.
  • Keeping Ireland’s Aviation History Alive – The Ulster Aviation Collection

    Keeping Ireland’s Aviation History Alive

    The Ulster Aviation Collection

    By Wesley Bourke

    Photos by Ken Mooney and courtesy of Ulster Aviation Society

    Published: Winter 2017 edition

    Keeping in line with our Royal Air Force theme we decided to pay a visit to the largest collection of aircraft on the island of Ireland – the Ulster Aviation Collection. Housed within an ex-Second World War hangar at Maze Long Kesh, outside Lisburn, Co. Antrim, this collection of 36 aircraft, aviation artefacts, complemented with several historical collections, tells the story of aviation in Ireland. Resident historian, Ernie Cromie, was there to greet us and take us around.

    I have to admit I am an aviation buff, so this visit was a treat for me. I’ve been to the Irish Air Corps Museum and to several aviation museums abroad, I was not expecting to find such a collection on our own doorstep. Ernie explained that the collection was started back in 1984, by the Ulster Aviation Society who were then based at Castlereagh College in East Belfast. The Society is made up of volunteers who research, restore, educate and fund raise to keep aviation history alive.

    Aviation in Ireland dates right back to the early days of flight when inventor Harry Ferguson took to the air in 1909. Since that time both military and civilian aviation has made a huge impact on the island. From a military point of view, Ireland’s geographical position placed it in a significant strategic location during the First and Second World Wars, and the Cold War. This strategic position has ensured a unique aviation history. During the First World War both British and United States aircraft operated from all around Ireland. Again, during the Second World War and the Cold War Royal Air Force, Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm and United States aircraft operated in and out of Northern Ireland, while the Irish Air Corps patrolled the airspace of southern Ireland. Internationally Northern Ireland is well known in the aviation world. The aviation giant Shorts Bombardier needs no introduction. Their aircraft designs have put Belfast and Northern Ireland on the world’s aviation map. Northern Ireland is further known as the birthplace of the ejection seat pioneer, James (later, Sir James) Martin. Martin-Barker Ltd has a test facility at the former RAF Langford Lodge near Crumlin in Co. Antrim. It is used for testing, and houses a 6,200 feet (1,900 m) high-speed rocket sled track.

    The Collection

    There is no escaping the aircraft collection. You are simply gobsmacked from the minute you enter the hangar. On entering you are met by a Blackburn Buccaneer. Beside it is a replica of the Second World War ‘Down’ Spitfire. Two aircraft from two different eras. The replica of the Rolls Royce Merlin piston driven Spitfire stands elegantly by the side of its larger Cold War jet cousin. The Buccaneer was a British carrier-borne attack aircraft designed in the 1950’s for the Royal Navy. With a crew of 2 (Pilot and Observer) it stands at 63 ft 5 in (19.33 m) in length and has a wingspan of 44 ft (13.41m). Powered by 2 × Rolls-Royce Spey Mk 101 turbofans, it could reach a top speed of 667 mph (580 kn, 1,074 km/h) at 200 ft (60 m). The engines on display alongside the Buccaneer are huge compared to that of Rolls Royce Merlin engine of the Spitfire. I asked Ernie why is the aircraft lifted off the ground. ‘When we received the Buccaneer at Langford Lodge our former site, it was flown in in excellent condition. Which means everything still works. We have her off the ground so we can raise and lower the undercarriage, the air brake and fold and unfold the wings, which keeps the hydraulics in working order. To get her flying again would cost huge funding. Our aim is to get her to a condition whereby she can taxi out onto the ramp’.

    Each aircraft has a story to tell. The English Electric Canberra B.2 for example became the first jet to make a nonstop unrefuelled transatlantic crossing. The flight covered almost 1,800 miles in 4h 37 min. Originally conceived as a high-altitude unarmed bomber, the Canberra first flew on 13 May 1949, and entered service with the RAF two years later as the PR.3. In Jan 1960, the Canberra PR.9 entered service with No. 58 Squadron at RAF Wyton and the first operational sortie was flown three months later. The Canberra could reach a ceiling of some 60,000 ft. The PR.9 was the photo-reconnaissance version with fuselage stretched to 68 ft (27.72 m), and a wingspan increased by 4 ft (1.22 m). The PR.9 has a hinged nose to allow fitment of an ejection seat for the navigator. A total of 23 of this variant were built by Short Brothers & Harland. During 1962, PR.9s were used to photograph Russian shipping movements during the Cuban crisis. Throughout the Cold War the PR.9 flew missions when and where surveillance was called for with in more recent years the aircraft being deployed for operations over Rwanda, Kosovo the 2003 Gulf conflict and Afghanistan in 2006. XH131 was the third aircraft from the PR.9 production line at Belfast and is the oldest surviving example of the type. The aircraft was purchased with the assistance of the Heritage Lottery Fund, and transported to Northern Ireland to join the collection during December 2010. ‘The last pilot to fly XH131 in Afghanistan in 2006, was Flight Lieutenant Leckey from Northern Ireland’.

    Another example is the Westland Wessex, the British version of the Sikorsky S-58 ‘Choctaw’, developed under license by Westland Aircraft (later Westland Helicopters). An American-built Sikorsky HSS-1 was shipped to Westland in 1956, to act as a pattern aircraft. The example on display in the collection, XR517, first flew in January 1964, and was stationed with No. 18 Squadron and coded G. In 1968, it was transferred to No. 72 Squadron and from 1971 until 1992, was based at RAF Aldergrove initially carrying the code AN. For 32 years, from 1969, Wessex helicopters of No. 72 Squadron assisted the civil power and supported the security forces during the ‘Troubles’. In addition, it had a search and rescue function. It could carry 16 fully-armed troops or lift a 4-ton underslung load. After its service in Northern Ireland it returned to England with No. 60 Squadron at RAF Benson. It was acquired by the Society in 2004, from Dick Everett of Shoreham and trucked from there to its original home at Langford Lodge.

    De Havilland Vampire T.11 — WZ549

    There are certain aircraft in the collection that you can’t help but go ‘WOW’. Aircraft such as the Spitfire are simply aviation legends. Stephen Riley tells us more on the ‘Down’ Spitfire in our Quartermaster’s store. Others such as the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II are simply the last aircraft you would expect to see in Ireland. The Society’s Phantom is currently being repainted. But even under all the protective sheeting you can make out the slick design of this Cold War jet. The Royal Air Force and Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm employed the Phantom for air defence, close air support, low-level strike and tactical reconnaissance. Ernie explained that the British version of the Phantom were assembled in the United States, but fitted with British avionics and 2 x Rolls-Royce Spey Mk.203 engines. These engines could produce 12,140 lbf (54.0 kN) (dry thrust) and 20,515 lbf (91.26 kN) (with afterburner). A formidable defence against any incoming Soviet aircraft. Entering service in 1969, the aircraft was a very familiar sight over Western Germany and in the latter years patrolling the South Atlantic from the Falklands. ‘The reason why we got one for the collection was that virtually all the Phantoms for British service were flown across the Atlantic into the RAF maintenance unit at RAF Aldergrove in Antrim. The unit prepared the Phantoms for military service’. Three Phantom variants were built for the United Kingdom: The F-4K variant was designed as an air defence interceptor to be operated by the Fleet Air Arm from the Royal Navy’s aircraft carriers; the F-4M version was produced for the RAF to serve in the tactical strike and reconnaissance roles. In the mid-1980’s, the third Phantom variant was obtained when a quantity of second-hand F-4J aircraft were purchased to augment the United Kingdom’s air defences following the Falklands War with Argentina. The first batch of Phantoms produced for the United Kingdom received serials in the XT range. The Phantom in the collection is XT864 and it had spent its latter years guarding a gate at Leuchars in Scotland.

    Irish Air Corps Alouette III (SA 316B Mark III) — 202

    There are certain aircraft in the collection that you can’t help but go ‘WOW’. Aircraft such as the Spitfire are simply aviation legends.

    Another aircraft that has to get special mention is that of the famous Irish designer, Henry George ‘Harry’ Ferguson. Born in 1884, at Growell, near Hillsborough, in Co. Down, Harry became gripped by the exploits of the Wright Brothers and the new flying machines of the early 20th century. With the help of his brother Harry designed and built the Ferguson monoplane. The Irish aircraft took off from Hillsborough on 31 December 1909. He became the first Irishman to fly and the first Irishman to build and fly his own aeroplane. In the collection is a flying replica of the Ferguson Flyer 1911. You may have seen it in flight on Dick Strawbridge’s BBC programme earlier this year. For the programme members of the Ulster Aviation Society built this flying replica. Dwarfed by a Shorts SD-330, it is baffling how this vintage design could possibly fly. Ernie could see the question in my face. ‘Yes, it flew. The Society’s own William McMinn, took it into the air last May at Magilligan Point, near Limavady for BBC. He said it was a bit hairy,’ Ernie laughed.

    Canberra PR.9 — XH131 with its nose
    open for the navigator to get in and out.

    Restoration

    One hangar is dedicated to the several aircraft under restoration. All the work is done by the volunteers. The aircraft come to the Society in varying conditions. Some aircraft such as the Fairchild 24W-41A Argus needed a lot of work. This was a four-seater light transport/communications aircraft used by the RAF and the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA). It last flew in 1967, after having a bad crash in Cork. ‘We were given her five years ago and have done extensive work on her. We have a big job to get an engine as this model used a rare Scarab engine. We’ve covered her in linen, whereas she originally was covered in cotton’. During the Second World War Argus aircraft were based at what is now Belfast City airport with the ATA.

    The Grumman F4F Wildcat — JV482 is a long-term project. Originally, she was stationed on HMS Searcher (D40) in 1943. In 1944, the aircraft carrier was in port and the aircraft were flown to Long Kesh. ‘The reason she’s still here is because on Christmas Eve 1944, JV482 was last flown by a 19-year-old pilot by the name of Peter Lock, who only died earlier this year and who was ordered to take her up for an air test. She got to about 800 feet and the engine went on fire. He managed to ditch her in Portmore Lough, near Lough Neagh. It never sank below the surface as it was in shallow waters’. When you see the original images of the aircraft as it was taken out of the water, it is unconceivable that it could be brought back to life at all. Ernie told us that souvenir hunters had picked at the fuselage and wings. The Society recovered the aircraft in 1984, the first aircraft in the collection. Bit by bit the volunteers have begun to rebuild this World War II naval fighter. ‘There is a lot of work still to be done, all the skinning is brand new’.

    A very unique aircraft currently being restored is the Fairey Gannet, a British carrier-borne aircraft from the Cold War. With a crew of three, it was developed for the Fleet Air Arm for anti-submarine warfare and strike attack requirements. It had two distinct features: double folding wings and its double turboprop engine driving two contra-rotating propellers. The Armstrong Siddeley Double Mamba ASMD 1 turboprop engine drove contra-rotating propellers through a combining gearbox.

    The Collection

    Phantom F-4 — XT864 (currently being repainted)

    Blackburn Buccaneer S2B — XV361

    Canberra PR.9 — XH131

    BAC Jet Provost T3A — XM414

    De Havilland Vampire T.11 — WZ549

    Hawker Sea Hawk FB.5 — WN108

    Second World War

    Spitfire Mk2A Replica — P7823 ‘Down’

    Grumman F4F Wildcat — JV482 (currently being restored)

    Fairchild 24W-41A Argus — HB612 (currently being restored)

    Shorts Bombardier

    Shorts SD-330 — G-BDBS

    Shorts Tucano — G-BTUC

    Shorts Tucano Prototype — ZF167 (currently being restored)

    Shorts Sherpa SB.4 — G-14.1 (currently being restored)

    Light Transport Turboprop

    Percival P.57 Sea Prince T.1 — WF122 (Needs restoration)

    Miscellaneous

    Air & Space 18A Gyroplane — EI-CNG

    V-1 flying bomb Replica

    Quicksilver Ultralight

    Rotec Rally 2B Microlight — G-MBJV

    Himax R-1700 — G-MZHM

    Aerosport Scamp

    Clutton-Tabenor Fred Series 2 — G-BNZR

    Evans VP-2 — G-BEHX

    Pitts Special S-1A — N80BA (Needs restoration)

    Sea Hawker EI-BUO

    Vintage

    Ferguson Flyer 1911 Flying Replica

    Helicopters

    Puma HC1 — XW222

    Westland Wessex HC2 — XR517

    Westland Scout — XV136

    Alouette III (SA 316B Mark III) — 202

    Robinson R-22 — G-RENT

    Support Vehicles

    Bedford QL Fuel Bowser — RAF 206180 (Reg. 53 GPP)

    Amazon Thorneycroft Crane (currently being restored)

    Ferguson Mk3 Tractor (on temporary loan only)

    Post War

    Fairey Gannet AS4 — XA460 (currently being restored)

    Cockpit Noses

    Canberra B2 Nose — WF911 (currently being restored)

    Devon C2 Nose — VP957 (currently being restored)

    The Exhibitions

    The Collection is complemented by several collections. One currently being put together is on Ireland during the First World War. Ernie showed us a map of Ireland detailing all the Royal Flying Corps/Royal Air Force bases and United States Naval Air Stations around the island. It seemed like they were everywhere: from Lough Foyle to Castlebar and from Tallaght to Waterford. Two images caught my eye. A Handley Page V/1500 and an image of Women’s Royal Air Force. Handley Page V/1500 were a World War I bomber. As it turns out several were built by Harland and Wolff in Belfast. The image of the ladies in uniform is captioned WRAF Dublin circa 1918/1919. An incredibly rare image.

    V-1 flying bomb Replica

    The Aldergrove Room for example tells the story of the war over the Atlantic during World War II. People often forget that Derry was the largest naval base in the British Isles during the Second World War. At the time it was home to a broad range of Allied aircraft and ships including: the Canadians, Danish, Dutch, Polish and the United States. A picture of a Swordfish shows it was flown by pilots of the Royal Netherlands Navy who operated out of Maydown, in Co Derry. Other exhibit rooms tell the personal stories of famous Irish pilots from World War II such as Royal Canadian Air Force pilot, Flight Lieutenant Frank Rush. Born in Canada, his parents were from the Falls Road. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with bar while flying with the No. 502 ‘Ulster’ Squadron Coastal Command.

    This article is only an insight into the vast stories that are housed in the hangars of the Ulster Aviation Society. If you become a member you will have access to their regularly journal which has endless articles on Irish aviation history. You can also keep an eye out for in your local bookstore for titles by the Societies members such as Guy Warner, Ernie Cromie and Joe Gleeson.

    The Ulster Aviation Society turns 50 next year. Keep an eye out for celebration events. All visits from the public are organised by prior arrangement. We cater for group visits, school trips (children’s groups should be around 30 max.) and tour groups.

    Ulster Aviation Society,

    via Gate 3 – Maze Long Kesh,

    94-b Halftown Road,

    LISBURN,

    Co. Antrim,

    N. Ireland, UK BT27 5RF

    E: info@ulsteraviationsociety.org

    Web: www.ulsteraviationsociety.org

  • The Guns of Spike Island

    The Guns of Spike Island

    By Wesley Bourke

    Photos by Ken Mooney

    Published in Summer 2017 edition

    Fort Mitchel – Guarding the entrance to Cork Harbour. (Image courtesy of Spike Island)

    In the last 1,300 years Spike Island, in Cork Harbour, has been host to a 6th century Monastery and a 24-acre fortress that became the largest convict depot in the world during Victorian times. The island’s rich history has included monks and monasteries, rioters, captains and convicts and sinners and saints. Today the island is dominated by the 200-year old Fort Mitchel, the star shaped fortress which became a prison holding over 2,300 convicts. Now a magnificently restored visitors centre the fort is open to the public all year round. The fort is also home to Ireland’s largest collection of restored artillery. Superintendent Spike Island, Tom O’Neill (a retired Reserve Defence Forces officer and Prison Officer), gave us a guided tour around Spike Island’s defences and their artillery collection.

    The entrance to Spike Island. (Photo by Ken Mooney)

    When Tom advised us that we’d need the entire day to see the restored fort, we thought he was kidding. Spike Island is an experience like none other in the country. Your journey starts at Kennedy Pier, in Cobh, where you embark on a ferry. The trip across for us modern day tourists is one of beauty. The estuary of the river Lee is full of stunning scenery and all kinds of wildlife. Once inside the walls you are immediately taken aback by the sheer size of the fort. On the ferry over it is difficult to grasp the scale. Inside, you can only imagine what the fortress must have been like when full of soldiers and bristling with artillery.

    A view of the dry moat, Bastion 4, and the Flanking Galleries. (Photo by Ken Mooney)

    As a natural deep-water port, Cork has been a tempting strategic target throughout history. Due to threats by the French in the 18th century, it was decided to improve the fortifications of Cork Harbour. Spike Island, at the mouth of the estuary, acts as a natural gun emplacement. A pre-existing fortification existed on Spike Island, but a more modern fort was needed. In 1789, building work began on a stone-built fort designed by Colonel Charles Vallancey. It was named Fort Westmoreland in honour of John Fane, 10th Earl of Westmoreland and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 1789 to 1794.

    “The star shape allows the defenders in the fort to fire over all parts of the island, making the whole island an effective kill zone for anyone who dare enter”

    Fortress Spike

    With the threat from Napoleon, fortifications in the harbour were further enhanced. The next construction began in 1804. The six-bastion star shaped fort was completed by the mid-19th century. The fort was designed to stop enemy vessels in their path and defend itself from landing attacks. The star shape allows the defenders in the fort to fire over all parts of the island, making the whole island an effective kill zone for anyone who dare attack. Flanking galleries further allowed the defender to pour musket and artillery fire into the ranks of a landing force that got close enough. The fort is surrounded by a dry moat. If troops landed, they couldn’t see the moat. Facing them was a raised slope called a glacis. Advancing in the open they would have been cut to pieces.

    Members of 1st Artillery Regiment in training on the QF 12-pounder 12 cwt coast defence gun.
    (Photo by A/B Davey Jones. Irish Naval Service)

    This fort was originally armed with 29 24-pounder guns, two 12-pounder guns and twelve 6-pounder cannons. Along with howitzers and mortars it was a formidable obstacle in any belligerent’s path. As technology evolved so did the artillery on the island. When excavations were taking place in the fort, three old smoothbores were recovered, later restored and are now on display.

    Supported by other forts – Carlisle (now Fort Davis), Camden (now Fort Meagher), and Templebredy, it is no wonder no one ever dared attack Cork. Fort Camden and Fort Carlisle were built at opposite sides of the harbour entrance during the period of the American War of Independence, Templebredy was built in 1910, at the back of Crosshaven facing out to the sea. If an enemy vessel managed to get through the entrance, straight in front of them would have been the guns of Spike Island. The fort was of such strategic importance that the British First Sea Lord, Winston Churchill, later called the island ‘The sentinel tower of the approaches to Western Europe’.

    C Block and Mitchel Hall in the centre. (Photo by Ken Mooney)

    By the turn of the 20th century the fort was armed with breech loading rifled guns. The 6-inch Mk VII gun, together with the 9.2-inch Mk X gun, provided the main coastal defence throughout the British Empire, and later Ireland, from the early 1900’s until the abolition of coastal artillery in the 1950’s. When the fort was handed over to the Irish Free State in 1938, it was renamed Fort Mitchel after the Nationalist hero, John Mitchel, Mitchel, who was a prisoner on Spike Island in May 1848. As Tom took us around the restored bastions, he told us that that Spike was armed with the 6-inch guns. The 9.2-inch were mounted on Templebredy and Fort Davis. Unfortunately, there are no 9.2-inch guns left in the country. However, Spike Island has two beautifully restored 6-inch guns. Grey Point Fort near Belfast also has two, former Irish Army, restored 6-inch guns. The 6-inch guns had a crew of 9. It could fire Lyddite, HE, and Shrapnel 100 lb shells. With a rate of fire of eight rounds a minute, it could engage targets up to13,400m (light charge) or 14,400m (heavy charge). The 6-inch guns at Spike were originally mounted out in the open. Interestingly, during the early 1940’s, the Irish Army moved the 6-inch guns on Spike into underground emplacements. This was some undertaking. The most logical reason for this was to protect them from aerial or naval bombardment.  Today on Bastion 3 where the 6-inch guns used to be, are a battery of four QF 12-pounder 12 cwt guns. They are still in working condition and are the Irish Army’s saluting battery for Cork Harbour.

    As part of the restoration, the underground emplacements have been completely restored – along with 6-inch guns. The underground emplacements include: crew quarters, a Battery Observation Post, and gun emplacement. The Battery Observation Post gives you a clear view out to the mouth of Cork Harbour. From here the officer would have worked out the distance, elevation and range of the enemy target.

    The Gun Park

    Spike Island is also home to a unique collection of artillery pieces. The collection traces the use of artillery in Ireland from the 1700’s up to the present-day Irish Army. Some pieces you will be very familiar with, including the Bofors L/60 and L/70 40mm anti-aircraft guns, and the British Ordnance QF 18 and 25-pounders. Others such as a 17-inch anti-tank gun and a 4.7-inch coastal gun are one of a kind examples in Ireland. All are kept out of the elements in the Gun Park.

    The earliest artillery piece in the collection is the 12-pounder cannon. It is one of Spike Island’s oldest artillery pieces. The crest of King George III on the barrel dates the piece to the late 1700’s. Designed as a naval gun, this piece was used for coastal defence. This is indicated by the presence of a breeching ring at the rear of the gun, through which a strong rope was passed and fixed to either side of the gun port opening to control recoil when the gun rolled back upon firing. This is one of three such cannon on Spike Island. They were used as bollards on the pier and were removed in circa 1999, restored and mounted for display. The 7-inch Rifled Muzzle Loading Cannon on display represents the progression of artillery technology, with the introduction of rifling grooves cut into the barrel to impart spin and stability to the shell while in flight. Dating from 1865, three of these massive 7-inch guns were mounted on Spike Island, one on each of the three bastions facing Cobh.  The introduction of breech loaded guns rendered them obsolete.

    “A one of a kind and the envy of the artillery community is the QF 4.7-inch coastal gun. This gun was made by the Elswick Ordnance Company of England. Spike Island’s 4.7- inch dates from 1910, is one of only two known surviving examples in Ireland”

    The QF 12-pounder was originally designed as a shipboard naval weapon, also used for coastal defence. Batteries were positioned in Forts Carlisle and Camden, providing protection against torpedo boats and covering the Cork Harbour minefield. The thickly armoured shield provided protection for the crew operating in open gun emplacements and is considered extremely rare. A one of a kind and the envy of the artillery community is the QF 4.7-inch coastal gun. This gun was made by the Elswick Ordnance Company of England. Spike Island’s 4.7-inch dates from 1910. It is one of only two known surviving examples in Ireland; the other is at Fort Dunree in Co. Donegal. This rare gun has been the subject of an extensive restoration project and must be among the best-preserved examples of its type in the world. Luckily the brass fittings and breach block were still in the Irish Army stores. ‘It was originally thought that the guns were from Bere Island. However, the Fortress Study Group found that the 4.7-inch was originally bought for the Irish Army in 1940, for a gun emplacement in Galway Bay. The emplacement was never built and the guns were put in storage. How many were brought in is unclear.

    The Bofors anti–aircraft guns are very much at home in Spike. During the Emergency years (1939 1946) anti-aircraft emplacements were built on Spike. In later years, the 4th Air Defence Battery was also based on the island. The Bofors L/60 pm display is one of the very guns that served on Spike from 1980 – 1985. Another rare artillery piece in the collection is the Ordnance QF 17-pounder Anti-Tank Gun. Developed in World War II to counter new and heavily armoured German tanks, the 17 pounders proved a battlefield success. The 17-pounder served with the Irish Army from 1949 to 1962. It too is fully restored.

    Spike Island visitors centre is only open two years. In that very short time the team on the island has done incredible work. The artillery collection on the island is an aspect of Irish military history that has not been written about that much. At one time gun emplacements and forts with their coastal artillery dotted the coastline well into the 1950’s. One by one the forts were no longer used and the gunners’ story was forgotten.

    Gun by gun and barrel by barrel, the team on Spike Island is preserving and retelling that story. The management on Spike Island are most grateful to the Department of Defence and members of the Defence Forces for their outstanding support in the project. They are also very fortunate in having a dedicated team of volunteers working on the guns and in the museum.

    There are many more fascinating stories to come from Spike Island including the Aud Exhibition and that of the prisoners who were there. Watch out for more on Ireland’s island fortress.

    Spike Island – Cork Harbour Ferries depart from Kennedy pier Cobh, which is right in the town centre next to Titanic Cobh. Tickets can be purchased from the kiosk on the pier, or save money and book online. Online booking is highly recommended during the busy summer months to secure you preferred sailing and avoid disappointment. Open year round for pre-booked tour groups of 15 or more, contact Spike Island for booking. Regular sailings for walk up passengers (advance online booking recommended):

    For pre-booking call: 021-4811485

    Or

    E: admin@spikeislandcork.ie to book

    For sailing times from Kennedy pier

    please check: www.spikeislandcork.ie/visit